In a move that has Habs fans everywhere abuzz, Bob Gainey has closed a deal that sees Chris Higgins, Doug Janik, Pavel Valentenko and 2007 first round draft pick Ryan McDonagh go to the New York Rangers in return for Scott Gomez and three minor league players.
Unless this deal is a part of something much bigger, it is absolutely horrific for the Canadiens for many reasons:
- Gomez is signed through 2013-14 at a cap hit of $7.35 million.
- His high price tag is made worse by the fact that he is a second line centreman, not a first.
- He is 5’11” and 200 lbs – not exactly the size up the middle we’d all like to see, especially for that money.
- We gave up arguably the best prospect in our farm system in McDonagh.
- Shouldn’t the Rangers have been the ones sweetening the deal in order to dump that huge cap hit? Where is the young talent coming back?
I could go on. Let’s hope that Bob has something up his sleeve that will have that empty-gutted heart burn dissipate by the time we all go to bed tonight. Sedin twins, anyone?